In the Prince William County Virginia area, many of the large communties are Home Owners Associations.
Buying in a home owners association is no big deal, unless you are a non-conformist who bucks every rule. Or maybe you are relocating from an area that does not have such communities. Then it is very important for you to have a good REALTOR®. Make sure you tell them you have a boat, a travel trailer, or lots of yard toys, or more than five dogs or you like to work in your garage on cars. These are the types of things that may require you to look for homes on acreage or in communities without home owners associations.
When you buy a home in the State of Virginia you have a three day right of recession once you receive the HOA Packet to read through it and decide if the HOA rules and regulations match up with your lifestyle. For most they do, however for some they do not.
Examples of Lifestyle Restrictions:
- Let’s say you drive an 18 Wheeler to work and you bring it home. That is not allowed in an HOA.
- Your company gives you a company vehicle you drive. As long as it fits in the garage you are fine. If it does not chances are very good you may need to find another place to live.
- You own a boat and trailer or an RV Van or large Commercial Style Van. Most HOA say NO. No recreational vehicles are allowed.
- Your have more animals ( or larger animals) that the HOA allows
- You have more vehicles that can fit in your driveway.
- You want to express yourself with your landscape and colors since you now own a home
- You want to have a trampoline, a basketball hoop in the driveway for the little ones.
- You are not a yard person. You’ll get to the long grass when you feel like it.
- You like to work on cars in your spare time in the garage
- You want to run a home based business out of your home where you have customers come daily
Most REALTORS® will have this conversation with you prior to looking for a home. The last thing you need when you are house hunting is to fall in love with a home or community only to learn it does align with your lifestyle. Worse is you buy a home on your own say with a builder and you did not read the rules and regulations, did not even think about it and now you own a home.
If that happens you could be setting yourself up for Notices, Fines, Possible Towing, not to mention neighbor tensions.
Selling a home you just purchased because you cannot afford to park your boat somewhere else or you need the company vehicle that will not fit in the garage could mean you have to sell your home and that will be costly.
Home owners association neighborhoods in the Prince William County Virginia Area are Lake Ridge, Westridge, Reid’s Prospect, River Falls, River Falls on the Occoquan, Hope Hill Crossing, Winding Creek, White Oak, Hunters Ridge, Ashland, River Oaks, Southbridge, Wayside, Port Potomac, Eagles Point, Saratoga, Belmont Bay, Potomac Club and Powells Landing and Potomac Shores are some of the big ones.
For example, Peggy recently moved to Potomac Shores. It is one of the newest communities. Their HOA Rules are very restrictive. The reason it is an upscale waterfront destination with Jack Nichlaus Golf Course, future town center, marinia and hotel and commercial work center. Homes start in the five hundred price range and go up. There are no commercial vehicles allowed, no overnight street parking allowed, there are strict rules on the types of plants and tree’s that can be used in gardens. All modifications to exterior of home must be approved first. Those who opt to purchase in this or any home owners association do so because they want a uniform community that is pristine and manicured.
Remember it cost you nothing to have a REALTOR represent you with the purchase of a home. No matter whether you are buying your first home, move-up home or last home. A REALTORS® is to help guide you and coach you on your options based on your needs and budget. Choose a local real estate professional who knows the rules and regualtions of each local community.
Need a good REALTOR®? We are the Twins Selling Real Estate we would be honored to help you find the perfect home that fits your budget and your lifestyle. Call 703-801-9367